Tuesday, February 1, 2011

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song."--Maya Angelou


I thought my first crafty post, though technically my second post, should be about my current project.


It has been evolving for about a year or so.  It started out as a bright red canvas discarded by my sister which sat untouched in my craft room for quite a while.  Eventually, I ran across an interesting print in a magazine and decided to glue it to something to see where it might go.  The above picture is where it went.    

I must say at this point that Modge Podge is my craft true love.  It all began in junior high when my speech class was assigned the task of making a collage about ourselves from magazine clippings.  Little did I know this project would be the catalyst for my lifelong love of modge-podging.  Ever since I’ve kept a box filled with pictures, words and patterns I’ve found in magazines in the hopes I might someday glue them to something. 


 
Here is some of my very early and very embarrassing modge-podge work circa 1995.

 
Here is a lamp I’ve been modge-podging since 2007.  I’m a slow crafter to say the least.

So, now back to the “bird picture” as it has come to be known by my friends and family.  I’m not sure where it’s going. At first I didn’t think it had anything to do with me and my husband and our little nest of a home,  Yet the longer I work on it the more I realize it’s totally about us.  The bird’s nest is made of bright colors and patterns mixed with pictures of computer hardware.  The leaves are cut from pictures of flower gardens and industrial images.  It’s a nice blend of me, the bright, flowery one, and my husband, the concrete, technical one.  It has come to represent us, the unlikely pair who are in a constant state of building our nest.

I was recently told by my harshest craft critic, a dear friend whom I think of as a brother, that 1) he thought it was my “best work yet” and 2) I shouldn’t add a single thing to it because he declared it done.  But as a girl who never thinks a craft is really done…I’m not so sure.  When do you know a project is done?

No comments:

Post a Comment