Saturday, July 16, 2011

"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good."--Marauder's Map, J.K. Rowling*

*The title of this post has nothing to do with my craft project.  I'm just celebrating and grieving the last Harry Potter movie this weekend.

Dates are sort of important to me.  And I don’t mean just birthdays or anniversaries.  I love the dates that can and can’t be found in a public record.  But mostly the ones when I was going about my day and something in my life shifted ever so slightly.  I love the date of a moment with a movement so small I didn’t even notice its importance until later.

August 23, 1999:  I sit down next to a girl I’ve never seen before and start to ramble.  Fast forward almost twelve years through many more rambling conversations to last week, the same girl visits me at work.  I’m greeted by the endearing title of “Auntie Laura” from said girl’s five year old and given an awesome kid hug that mostly takes place around my knees.  My life shifted that day, August 23, 1999.  More people were added to it even though one of them didn’t even exist yet.

January 11, 2000:  I begin sharing a dorm room with a girl with whom I went to high school but had little interaction with prior to standing in a half empty, university owned room.  Fast forward eleven and a half years later, I now call her my family.  We certainly aren’t related by blood or marriage, just a choice made because on January 11, 2000, I found a kindred soul.  



Because of my fondness for dates like the ones above, I instantly loved the concept of the linked craft.  And I commend this blogger for being above-and-beyond crafty.  However, I’m not her level of crafty.  When I made my own I had to modify her process a bit.     


I bought a set of black number stickers and a piece of deep purple cardstock from Michael’s.  I carefully measured out each row of numbers and even taped a ruler to my dining room table to ensure perfect sticker placement.  I mean how hard could it be to stick a few stickers?  I had a couple Lisa Frank sticker books in the third grade.  Surely, that was training enough!  Yet, I have no idea what went wrong.  Everything ended up crooked.  I was pretty disappointed considering I had planned to give my little project to my husband as a gift.  It was one of those crafting failures you can’t even bring yourself to cleanup.  I left it in a pile on the kitchen counter.

However, a few days later my husband noticed it.  He told me he thought it was super neat.  It reminded him of computer programming code.  He asked if he could hang it in his office—which was my original intention.  Crafting triumph!

The picture on the left of the finished craft is terrible.  But it was a terrible craft so you aren't missing much.   



1 comment:

  1. Did I send you the link to that craft? If not, I know I've seen it. But I too worried about it looking wonky.
    Do we have a date?

    ReplyDelete