Sunday, July 3, 2011

"Do they give a Nobel prize for attempted chemistry? Do they?”--Matt Groening

I'm hoping to get more crafts out this paper.
When I started my blog I promised to report my crafting mistakes.  Ohhhh, but let’s just call them mishaps.  Shall we?  Are there really any mistakes in crafting?  I don’t think so.

I woke up this morning feeling pretty crafty.  I had four thrift store picture frames and some craft paper I bought a few weeks ago on my mind.  I thought I would put a little crackle medium and paint on the frames…cut the craft paper to fit…and, BAM, adorable accents for my amazingly bare kitchen walls.  Easy, right?!  Yeah, I thought so, too. 

When I posted a few months ago about the wonder of crackle medium I gave the instructions off the bottle which explain one should paint a basecoat, apply the crackle medium and then a final topcoat for successful crackling.  However, I must confess, I thought the basecoat was only needed to achieve the color contrast that makes the crackle effect really pop.  My frames already being a dark brown, I decided to skip the basecoat.  I went straight from crackle medium to a cream colored topcoat.  Yeeeaaahhh, that didn’t work.  Clearly, I should have been thinking less about pretty and more about basic chemistry.  The basecoat is needed for the reaction to occur that causes the paint to crack.  Whoopsy!

Bleck!
I then for reasons I don’t understand decided to paint a layer of crackle medium over the cream color that didn’t react followed by a layer of red paint.  The cream would show through the red and be super cute, right?!  Uh, no.  It didn’t even look a little cute.  So, I applied another layer of crackle medium and another layer of cream.

I wish I could end this post by saying my mistake…I mean mishap…turned into something wonderful.  But I can’t.  It’s okay but not good enough for me to show a picture of the finished product.  I did manage to salvage the other frames which look quite perfect.  Yay!

I end by saying slow down.  Read the directions.  Think about it.  
And don't get too big for your crafty britches.

No comments:

Post a Comment